I managed to get the simpleserver demo running again this time after manual
start up of rtnet. The only thing I was originally missing was rtudp.ko.

Unfortunately if I send a UDP message to the Linux box from an external PC
running a UDP test program I still loose the first 8 bytes of the message
and the message echoed back contains an additional 8 bytes at the start.
These 8-bytes change each time, perhaps a time stamp?

This is what I do to set up RTnet in case there is anything obviously
stupid:

sudo ifconfig eth0 down
sudo ifconfig eth1 down
sudo rmmod tg3
sudo rmmod e1000e
cd /usr/realtime/modules
sudo insmod rtai_rtdm.ko
cd /usr/local/rtnet/modules
sudo insmod rtnet.ko
sudo insmod rtipv4.ko
sudo insmod rtudp.ko
sudo insmod rtpacket.ko
sudo insmod rt_loopback.ko
sudo insmod rt_e1000.ko cards=1,0
cd ..
cd sbin
sudo ./rtifconfig rteth0 up 192.168.20.13 netmask 255.255.255.0
sudo ./rtifconfig rtlo up 120.0.0.1
cd /lib/modules/2.6.32-122-rtai/kernel/drivers/net
sudo insmod tg3.ko

I doubt it is a bug, I wonder if I am either still not using it correctly or
if I need to modify the source?

Graham