Hi everybody,

I have some problems understanding the TDMA Implementation of RTnet and was
hoping that someone here can help me. I'm using version 0.9.12 of RTnet on a
2.6.38.8 Kernel.

First of all I'm not sure about the correct configuration, I'm have two
stations and I'm using the rtnet start script to start them up. I want the
stations to share each TDMA cycle (which should be 10ms) equally. So I modified
the /etc/rtnet.conf file, commented out the TDMA_SLAVES, TDMA_CYCLE and
TDMA_OFFSET parameters and uncommented the TDMA_CONFIG="/etc/tdma.conf" line.
One Station is configured to act as TDMA_MODE="master", the other one as
TDMA_MODE="slave". I'd like to have the following TDMA configuration:

 +------+-----------+-----------+------+
 | sync | station 1 | station 2 | sync |
 +------+-----------+-----------+------+
 0         5000       10000

So the tdma.conf on both stations looks the same:

/etc/tdma.conf
master:
ip 10.0.8.2
cycle 10000
slot 0 0

slave:
ip 10.0.8.3
slot 0 5000

In /proc/rtnet/rtmac/tdma_slots I found out that this results in time-slots
with a sizes of only 1500us, so I expanded my configuration according an
example I found in the Documentation to:

master:
ip 10.0.8.2
cycle 10000
slot 0 0 1/1 5000

slave:
ip 10.0.8.3
slot 0 5000 1/1 5000

But when I run rtnet -v start I get the message:

/usr/sbin/tdmacfg rteth0 slot 0 0 -p 1/1 -s 5000
ioctl: Invalid argument

master and slave keep searching each other without success.. So I returned to
use the old configuration for the moment and found another behavior I can't
explain. I'm running the rttcp-client/rttcp-server program and configured it to
send its 6 Byte message with a cycle time of 11ms (a TDMA cycle has 10ms, 5ms
each station). When I measure (using tcpdump and wireshark) the arrival time of
the packets, it seems like they are transmitted always at the beginning of a
time slot, eg. direct after the sync frame for one direction and 5000ms after
the sync frame for the other direction. I supposed to see some variance of the
arrival time within each time slot depending on the actual transmit time of the
package.

For example, when I send a package at the beginning of a time slot, is it
transmitted instantly? And on the other side, when I send a package at the very
end of a time slot it will arrive with a time offset which is roughly the slot
time right?

Well, I hope I explained myself understandable, if anybody can help it would be
really appreciated!

Cheers, Florian