Dne 02. 01. 20 v 12:06 Jun Aruga napsal(a):
>> With recent changes, such as [3], I am afraid that the day has come.
> It seems that the day came on Ruby 2.7.0, right? Ruby 2.7.0 includes
> the commit [3].
>
>> Thoughts?
>> On the positive side, 1(2) would allow us to stay better in line with
>> "Pregenerated code" guidelines [5], because there is already quite a lot
>> of pre-generated code shipped in Ruby release tarball.
> For my first impression,, I agree with the way 1) and 2).
>
>> 2) Use previous version of Ruby available in Fedora to bootstrap Ruby.
>> But this does not work ATM, at least when RubyGems are installed. And
>> upstream is doing what they can to make RubyGems inseparable [4].
> If we create the SRPM for "Use previous version of Ruby available in
> Fedora to bootstrap Ruby", which name do you like?
>
> The candidates:
> * rpms/ruby-bootstrap
> * rpms/bootstrap-ruby
> * rpms/previous-ruby

Not this way. We would just incrementally build Ruby using previous Ruby
(IOW there would be `BR: ruby` in .spec file). That would be likely good
as long as Fedora does not introduce new architecture. Then we would
need manually build some Ruby, probably without patches and then use
this Ruby for build of Ruby with patches.

I think if we are able to do this right, then we can choose from option
1 and 2 by setting the right flags. Both options has their pros and cons.

Vít