> I would like to urge everybody to avoid such strict version requirements,
especially without any justification, as in this Prawn case.

I agree. I'm currently looking into how to run the Asciidoctor PDF test
suite against a prerelease of Prawn that doesn't have this restriction.
Unfortunately, because of how RubyGems works, I cannot simply declare a
dependency that forces pdf-core to be upgraded to 0.8.1 because RubyGems
forbids it (due to Prawn's tight restriction). But I can run the tests
against a prerelease branch (master or a modified version of 2.2.2).

Best Regards,

-Dan