You know what, I'm going to comment in whatever order I please.... so
here we go...

without *any* code changes (unless you had ActiveResource clients, in
which case you'd have to change the name of your param for the
resource entity in your controllers etc - a small change compared to
the current alternatives).

Changing your own code involves a quick search/replace.  Changing
client code requires API breakage or deprecation.  I'd rather have to
change my own code.

However, map.resources is currently tightly coupling the interface
(the URL elements) to the guts of my code and I want a more painless
way to exert control over that.  With this one-line change to
resources.rb I can divorce the resource name in my code from the
resource name in the URL.

I see your point in keeping the resource route that matches the
resource/model name.  I'm thinking something a little more clear than
opaque_name would work better though:

map.resources :quotes,
 :controller => 'quote_requests',
 :named_route => 'quote_requests'