I've wrestled with the same problem.  I first render one of several
templates to a string, then include the string within a rendered
template.  And my testing breaks (or at least is counter-intuitive) as
well.

It certainly doesn't seem right that rendering to a string dominates
(assert_template-wise) the rendering of a template for CGI.  And it
also doesn't seem right that the first render action dominates the
last render action.

Anybody got a good explanation for this strange behavior?

-Chris