> I think it's an achievable feat too,  but I'm a little hesitant to
> just whack mutexes everywhere we find a race condition.  Instead I'd
> like to think a little more about the changes which are needed to make
> the thing work and rejig the internals to make the task simpler.

I agree, mutexes are not the solution for every threading problem, but
I believe for some problems they are the best (most pragmatic)
solution.  There is a non mutex solution to this race condition which
is to use a unique method name for every combination of template-name/
local-assings (currently the method name is only based on the template
name).  To me this is more complex and less elegant than a mutex.

There may be a larger reworking of template compilation that fixes
this race condition.  But I don't see an issue with fixing it with a
mutex until someone takes on that task.  I'd love to hear if you have
a different or better solution to this though.

> I'd suggest a candidate first-task is tidying up the ActiveRecord
> allow_concurrency stuff to use a connection pool rather than blindly
> establishing a connection per thread.   This would require some pretty

On ActiveRecord, I think it's great that people want to improve it.
But personally I want to focus on the parts of rails which are not yet
thread safe.  AR is at least somewhat thread-safe already.  Of course
I have no problem with anyone else working on it :)