I don't have a strong opinion here, but look at what you just said:

Pros for keeping helpers:  Lots of projects use them

Pros for removing actionwebservice, pagination, etc.: unmaintained,
better alternatives exist (e.g. will_paginate) or can be made easily
(e.g. auto_complete)

The reasons for the proposed patch are "the functionality isn't great"
plus that it promotes accessibility, not just for screen readers but
for things like search engines.  That's actually my most important
concern...

It sounds like the opposition is mostly that there isn't an
alternative/better implementation for the js helpers.  So, let me ask
a different question: would everyone be more receptive to removing the
javascript helpers if an alternative existed?  The UJS plugin was a
decent idea, and the patches attached to the ticket here are not bad
either. Or, is it that removing them is off the table, period?  (I can
imagine arguments in favor of having a default JS plugin, but I'm not
convinced by any of them)

Sujal