On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Damian Janowski
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> So currently there's no way to automatically get Rake tasks from your
> config.gems.
>
> Issue and discussion here:
> http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994-ruby-on-rails/tickets/59
>
> If we do this, then I guess we could just load that initializer (if it
> exists) passing a config object and figure out which gems are
> installed and then add their rails/tasks to Rake.
>
> Thoughts?

I just put a big comment on the ticket with my thoughts.

Basically, I think preinitializer.rb should be used to activate gems,
whether that is manually via the 'gem' method, through some call to an
initialization-decoupled version of the config.gems code, or some third
party tool like GemInstaller.

The rails initialization code should be structured (if it is not already) to
process the loaded gems, init files, rake tasks, etc that are already on the
load path, regardless of how they got there (it can be any method as long as
it is called from preinitializer.rb before any initialization happens).

Thanks,
-- Chad