On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Pratik <pratikn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Which problem is it solving for you ? Do you see any performance gains
> that I'm missing ? Do you believe if this is making any code easier to
> understand ? Could you please provide failing tests which are to be
> fixed by the refactoring in question ?

I believe that Adam already addresses many of these points in his original post:

"This inheritance relationship has already caused its share of bugs, as
mentioned by commenters on the ticket.  I fixed two here:
http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/895-has_one-through-errors.
More importantly, the added complexity created by importing all of the
collection logic and interface into a non-collection association class
just adds to rigidity and potential for odd bugs in the future."

It is hard to write a failing test for bugs that don't exist, but the
existence of prior already-fixed bugs should be considered as a
motivation for doing the refactor.

Furthermore, the existence of bugs isn't normally the primary
motivation for refactoring - but they are a symptom of a needed
refactoring.  Complex, hard-to-understand code is a direct motivation
for refactoring, which I think is the point here.

-- Chad