I work on a team of about 5 committers Rails project in a git repo.
We often run in to issues with migrations that have run in one branch
and not another, or migrations that have run on deploy that aren't
automatically ran down when we roll back our production server to an
older version.

I think the problem could potentially be resolved if the database
stored the code to run the down method of a migration along with the
list of migrations that have run.  On rake db:migrate, if a migration
is missing, it could prompt (or accept an option) to automatically run
the down method for the missing migrations.

I'd be happy to implement this, the only potential issue I see is the
down method in the db getting out of date with the code in the
migration file, but maybe that's not much of an issue.

Feedback?

Steve