The EY team will maintain 1.8.x branch only for security issues, I don't
think they will backport all the 1.9.x features. Because it's a non-sense.
The present (not the future) of Ruby it's 1.9.1, honestly don't know why the
majority (myself included) is still on the old-and-beloved 1.8.6.

The "Big Rewrite" could be a great moment to cleanup the code from the ugly
version check (RUBY_VERSION), and at the same time, as you know, you have to
change something in your code to jump into Rails 3. Why don't spend more
time to move to the newest Ruby?

The Rails community provides a fundamental and continuos feedback to Matz
and his team, and actually we aren't so useful for that cause.

Many people are scared by the gems compatibility, and it's right, but if we
don't evolve and take the courage, will be always blocked in this kind of
limbo. When Rails 3 will be released, nothing will change, you app will not
stop to work, you don't have to migrate immediately, you can take all the
time to do it.

One of the roles of a Core Team is to take decisions thinking about the
future. Till a couple of years ago people was scared to embrace Ruby/Rails
for several reasons, the VM, the lib compatibility, the hosting support. But
we simply won. I don't see the problem. We just need to roll up our sleeves
and get more involved in this process.

Luca
--
lucaguidi.com