This isn't *necessarily* a problem. If you have an association named :except
you can still eagerly load it using either the array syntax:

User.find(:all, :include => [:comments, :except])

Or just the regular symbol notation:

User.find(:all, :include => :except)

If you include it in the hash notation though, it definitely will think
you're going to specify column names to remove from the select:

User.find(:all, :include => {:comments => :except})

Will now bomb out, where before it would assume that you want to include
comments and then include except on comments, like you said. In making the
patch I figured the amount of people who would be helped by the performance
improvements probably outweighs the number of people who have associations
named "except." But hey, I could be wrong.

Josh