On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Jeremy Kemper <jer...@bitsweat.net> wrote:
> I have a plugin with migrations for its own database. I want those to
> run and be managed in their own universe. This works well today using
> our existing tools: just override the connection class method on the
> migration.

Even if a plugin/engine manages its own database, and has nothing to
do with your app's database, it still operates within the context of
your app and your app's timeline (you explicitly upgrade the code, you
monkey patch it, etc).  Otherwise, if it has nothing to do with your
app, it is a separate app in itself, and should be managed
independently.  But since it *is* in the context of your app, it makes
sense to explicitly manage the plugin's migrations within the timeline
of your app's migrations.  You need to have explicit control over this
timeline, for all the reasons Josh mentioned in his response.

The migrations API should definitely support either approach - running
an engine's migrations as a standalone app, or invoking them in the
context of a parent app's migration timeline - and I hope Josh's patch
takes this into account.  This allows for the greatest flexibility,
but we must support both.

-- Chad