Not sure if it'll help you or not (especially since there isn't an
ActiveRecord driver yet) but my new Mysql2 gem forces the use of UTF-8
for connections to MySQL as well as strings in 1.9 -
http://github.com/brianmario/mysql2

I'll be working on and releasing an ActiveRecord driver soon, but
would love some help if anyone knows of *any* docs on a driver spec?

Anyway, I'm curious if some simple tests with this gem fix your issue.

-Brian