On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:45, Xavier Noria <f...@hashref.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Yehuda Katz <wyc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The idea that 16% of Rails users use jQuery is divorced from reality.
>
> But you are talking perceptions, and the sample talks numbers.
>
> Of course 16% has to be taken with some margins, but you can't deny it
> makes difficult to claim that the vast majority of Rails developers
> use jQuery exclusively, which was the claim in (1). That is a strong
> claim! (1 was originally stated as a feeling not a fact, that's fine).
>
> If the percent had been 84% then there would be no doubt about it,
> right? But < 20%... dubious.

This is why I stated that once Rails 3 comes out, it should be easier
to get some "real" numbers on this, since presumably it will be just
as easy for developers to use jQuery as it currently is to use
Prototype, and those users
who actively program in Javascript rather than just using the helpers
will consciously decide to use one or the other.

I would suggest it's a bit late to change the default option at this
time, and if the decision is left for 3.1 it can easily be based at
least in part on real-world numbers that nobody disputes.