On Jul 2, 2010, at 9:11 AM, Paul Campbell wrote:

>> defining an attribute based on a Ruby keyword (private).
>
> I'm pretty sure this isn't the case, since there's no "private" method
> name. Interestingly, it's very difficult to come up for a name in this
> that isn't a potential collision.

I misspoke re "private" vs "public". I'm now on my second cup of coffee so
fully qualified to respond. :)

I think this test lends credence to my suspicion, though:

ruby-1.9.2-head > class Tester
ruby-1.9.2-head ?>  def self.public
ruby-1.9.2-head ?>    puts "Hey, I'm not a keyword, I'm a class method!"
ruby-1.9.2-head ?>    end
ruby-1.9.2-head ?>  end
 => nil
ruby-1.9.2-head > Tester.instance_eval do
ruby-1.9.2-head >     public
ruby-1.9.2-head ?>  def blah
ruby-1.9.2-head ?>    puts "blah"
ruby-1.9.2-head ?>    end
ruby-1.9.2-head ?>  end
Hey, I'm not a keyword, I'm a class method!
 => nil

Try renaming your scope and see if the issue persists.