On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 14:50 -0800, Aaron Patterson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:30:13PM +0000, Jon Leighton wrote:
> > Jon fixes a bug in master. It's a minor thing and not hugely relevant to
> > the 3.2.0 release, so there is no changelog entry.
> >
> > SCENE 3
> >
> > Jon backports the fix to 3-1-stable. It's more relevant there as it will
> > feature in the forthcoming point release. So the changelog is updated:
>
> You can't for sure know that you'll backport from master to 3-1-stable.
> Also, if you do port to 3-1-stable and someone reverts, now your
> changelog entry is lost.  I think this suffers exactly the same
> problems I mentioned in the original post.

No, you don't know for sure when you'll backport. But when you do, you
don't have to change master as well. So when you backport, you create a
new change in 3-1-stable, containing a) the fix and b) a CHANGELOG entry
for 3-1-stable.

When it gets reverted in the 3-1-stable, your changelog entry was in the
backport commit, so that gets reverted too.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem?

--
http://jonathanleighton.com/