On Nov 20, 12:47 pm, Michael Koziarski <mich...@koziarski.com> wrote:
> > chown(old_stat.uid, old_stat.gid, file_name)
>
> This line was added deliberately.

I think I now see the flaw in my original logic, thanks.  How about
this instead:  change the line to:

    chown(nil, old_stat.gid, file_name)

The reason being: no platform ever allows you to change the uid,
unless you're running as root, and nobody runs their rails servers as
root, right?  But platforms do allow you to change the gid as long as
you are a member, and that's still useful for all the reasons you
outlined.

Dave