The reason this happens is that when you run `bundle install` without a
Gemfile.lock (the case in a new Rails app), bundler checks with
rubygems.orgto see if there are any new versions available. For
instance, it is
possible that you have an old version of coffee-script on your system.
Calling `bundle install` without a `Gemfile.lock` means "make sure to get
the latest versions of my gems that are available." When you use --local,
it means "I assert that the gems are all available locally, and I want you
to use them even if there may be newer ones available."

Using --local will not work for a new app on a new system, because there
are items in the default `Gemfile` that are not actual dependencies of
Rails. If --local reliably worked, you would not need to run bundle install
at all. This is because if Bundler sees that there is no `Gemfile.lock`
when you require "bundler/setup", it tries to satisfy the dependencies from
your local gems. Unfortunately, it will not always work.

Yehuda Katz
(ph) 718.877.1325

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas <rr.ro...@gmail.com