Hi Robert, that is exactly what I'm currently doing, but I was also afraid about the default "production" environment in passenger settings, so I renamed my production environment to prod.

That is why I wrote this thread in the first place to note that the log_level option should not be commented in the production.rb template file because it will default to 'info' only if your environment is called 'production'.

Also, I did symlink prod.rb to qa.rb.

I read that keeping the settings in a separate recipe is a better idea but what I didn't see are the reasons why is that. Why would it increase security for example?

Also, adding a staging server is much easier than setting up a Chef recipe, and I already know Chef:

https://github.com/rosenfeld/gitorious-cookbooks

And I've been using the manual procedure for handling my production and staging environment for years without trouble, so I don't think that automatic management is a must. I'm not saying it is not useful, indeed it is great to have such feature, but it is just not that much required. If you don't feel the need, why bothering about it?

Cheers,
Rodrigo.