Il giorno 05/giu/2012, alle ore 03.56, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas ha scritto:

> Em 04-06-2012 20:47, Maurizio Casimirri escreveu:
>>
>> Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas:
>>> Lack of documentation, support, and a good-enough API. All of that I've
>>> found in Sequel and it further performed better than AR, so yay! ;)
>>>
>>> Pretty happy with the move and I sincerely wish the best of luck for AR to
>>> get over the "80%" it currently supports...
>>
>> Allen Madsen:
>>>
>>> Squeel (not to be confused with Sequel) does a pretty good job of covering
>>> the other 20%.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/ernie/squeel
>>>
>>> Allen Madsen
>>> http://www.allenmadsen.com
>>

>> I can agree that there may be better solutions to replace / complement
>> ActiveRecord but I believe that now is the moment to define a query
>> interface that meets the requirements of our applications, in a way that is
>> not intended to change for a long time and that can be shared between
>> different gems / libraries / ORMs, so that the rest of the implementation
>> can safely change across the time (Arel, Squeel, Sequel or any other
>> brilliant solution that is right for our).
>
> Sorry, but I didn't get it. Sequel shares nothing with AR as far as I can
> tell you and hasn't significantly changed its interface for years I guess...
>
> For example, Sequel is not likely to support dynamic methods or
> method_missing for one. You shouldn't expect to find something like
> record.created_at_changed? in Sequel core, for example, among other "magic"
> methods, like the now deprecated find_by_xxx dynamic finders.
>
> So, it doesn't rely on AR API and it won't change if AR does.
>
> Did I miss something?

No you didn't. In fact i was not speaking of AR changes but the way rails
interacts with it. If I'm not wrong Sequel needs different plugins from AR's
ones or at least alternate versions of AR plugins. It would be probably a good
thing if AR would have a stable and definitive interface capable to cover any
reasonable use case, then probably you can use an universal adapter for any AR
plugins in a way you can't even notice it and thus filling the gaps between AR
support and Sequel.

Maurizio