> But when using UUIDs, there is no reason to ask the database for a
> newly-inserted record's ID.

There is if ActiveRecord uses it for a primary key.

> Instead, the application can generate these UUIDs itself. This is, for
> example, what Hibernate and Mongoid do.

This is what my wiki article describes and how technically ActiveRecord has
supported this notion for many years. But if there is a more formal notion of
supporting unique identifiers as primary keys, then we have two options to
engineer a solution. Either pre assigned callbacks that allow the app to
generate them, not desired as it would require some extra config to hint that
this primary key is a unique identifier. The other option is to make it
transparent and push the concern down to the adapters to return that value.

 - Ken