On Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:38:57 PM UTC-4, Masterleep wrote:

> Excellent!  I verified that your fix did eliminate the redundancy on these
> field name strings in the case I was studying (from 15 extra strings per
> instance down to 2, where the 2 were attribute values, not field names).

Attribute values would be a good case for the StringPool I guess, even
though I still think that would be something that should be introduced in
Ruby, not Rails, and because of string's bang methods altering the object
itself so a lot of existing user code would assume object_id equivalence of
a string and the object produced by one of that string's bang methods, so
it would be a major change. I know you wanted to focus on AR, but if you
did only focus on AR attribute values and just had a StringPool for them,
then AR attribute values would be object equivalent and have the same
string bang method wierdness, but other strings wouldn't act that way, and
this would be much more evil than doing it in Ruby.