That is a problem for me either.

I can't use before_save callback because I need to show the default value
on forms.

So, I have a date field and the default value is today, but when user open
the form, today must be on that field.

I'm setting this kind of default value on controller like that:

def new
  @payment = Payment.new
  @payment.date = Date.current
end

But this become a mess since I have "dynamic" default values in almost
every model of my application.