Em 30-11-2012 13:36, Gary Weaver escreveu:
On Friday, November 30, 2012 7:55:43 AM UTC-5, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas wrote:

      it is likely that I won't try to contribute to Rails for many
    more years if the patch isn't accepted after some feedback to get
    it in conformance with core's taste.

Understand your past experience, but to limit the chance of rejection you might want to read up on the list and elsewhere on past arguments about why constraints weren't added and try to come up with something that would address those concerns. The problem you are trying to solve seems like it will be more politically (for lack of a better adverb) tough than it is to actually implement the code in the adapters, etc. Maybe think of maintainability first, backwards compatibility second, and flexibility third, and then place your priorities at the bottom of that stack of priorities. (That probably sounds ridiculous, but I'd bet it is correct.)

By the way, before I start implementing this first patch, I'll keep it really short because I won't create more complex patches depending on how this pull request progress...

I'll only add an additional boolean option to add_index called :deferrable. This option will be ignored by non-supporting databases and when unique is false (or should it raise an exception when unique is false?).

Then it will use "alter database add constraint" on PG databases instead of "create index" for such cases.

Please let me know in advance before I implement if the behavior described above is not desired.