Hi all. I'm interested in contributing to Rails as a next step in software
development. I'm sure there's tons of things to learn while working on a
widely used, rather complex project. I'm working in private companies for
fun and profit, and I want to also work on big-ish OSS projects for
contributing back, learning and for fun.

I saw there's a bug in Hstore, where one cannot update a key in the hash
(https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/6127). Aaron Patterson says that
he's aware of this issue, and he'd "like to treat the hstore columns as
serialized columns, but it's going to take a little refactoring". If nobody
started on it yet, and somebody could help me defining the first steps on
this refactor and fix, I'd be happy to walk through it, until I have
something that either works or doesn't (and so maybe start over again).

Which are the refactors that we would need, and which may lead to this bug
getting fixed?

Thank you in advance,

Tute.