Maybe you can get together a local bug fixing support group that meets once
every other week and pairs on existing open issues. Active record should be a
ripe target.

If you want to pay someone to work on Rails full time, just start doing it.
Find a company that will hire a full time open source-er (maybe you) and have
them work with pull requests and issues. In time if their work is valuable they
will be given commit access. If not, don't continue to pay them.

If you want to be on rails core then start acting like you're in rails core.
Fix bugs, comment on pull requests, submit docs, and develop a rapport with the
core team.

Another option is to reach out to those with commit who freelance. Maybe you
can hire them at their rate to work more on Rails.

The key here is to try things today. If they work out then tell everyone about
your successes and maybe they can be repeated. If not, keep trying till you
find something that does.

Raphael is correct. The team is coming off of a major release and the issues
will get better. It still doesn't stop you from making an effort today.

--
Richard Schneeman
http://www.codetriage.com

Sent from the road