Hi Rain,

I don’t think that web applications are like software libraries in this
respect. Engineering teams that are pushing software out the door are already
tracking their versions with commits to their source control. SemVer is great
because it helps convey things like breaking changes, but web apps don’t really
have the same kind of backwards-compatibility problems that libraries might
(APIs served by the app might, but that’s a different issue). If your team is
always shipping, and therefore making lots of small deploys to production,
separately tracking a version number is a step that will result in merge
conflicts and possibly misleading data in the event that multiple pushes are
made on a single “version” of the app.

- Geoff