WRT my example, try two required params in the child structure instead of just
one then ;)

A part of me thinks require was designed in haste and a regression - while
never pleasant - shouldn't be ruled out this early in the game.

Two methods will have to exist after all is said and done for sure.  But just
because anyone has standardised around a potentially bad design and has no
problems with it doesn't vindicate that it is making people do very obscure and
esoteric things with params. It's still a bad design imposing a requirement on
your request schema.

Broken windows being what they are....