On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Ivailo Bardarov <i.barda...@gmail.com>
wrote:

By virtual we mean that we don't have the 'type' column in the DB at all.
> We determine it runtime via scope from the query.
>
> Here is an example https://gist.github.com/gudata/7ff43e3b6600408b1c1e

I don't quite see that in core.

AR does not have as a goal to support "inheritance" in a generic way.
Rather, AR has STI baked in, where STI is a very concrete portable pattern:

    http://martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/singleTableInheritance.html

I believe trying to generalize the implementation of STI to fit other
designs in would not be a good idea. The design of STI should model STI.

Rather, I see here a plugin that specifically models table inheritance as
done in Postgres.

multi_table_inheritance
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fninjudd%2Fmulti_table_inheritance&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEOoIsa4h8OtebcAb119NEEy0wPAw>
>  is
> very old and probably is not addressing the same problem.

Yeah it's old and talks about Rails 2.3 in the README. I mentioned the
plugin only because it might be relevant and a plugin author could perhaps
check the implementation and see if they could copy some idea from it.