Looking over the callback order I am thinking it would be nice to simplify
things.
The current callback list is as follows

before_validation
- validate
after_validation
before_save
around_save
before_create/update
around_create/update
- save
after_create/update
after_save
after_commit/after_rollback

Having the secondary create/update callbacks appear in the order seems
unnecessary to me.
Following the example of before_validation on: :create. I believe
before_create should just be syntactic sugar for before_save on: :create.

This would simplify the callback list to simply

before_validation
- validation
after_validation
before_save
around_save
- save
after_save
after_commit/after_rollback

This isn't backward compatible if an application relies on the special
ordering of save vs create/update callbacks, instead of based on the order
of definition. In my opinion, that is a gotcha instead of a feature anyway.

I will gladly implement this if such a pull request would be accepted.