I use turbo-sprockets (requires a custom buildpack) on Heroku on my Rails 3 app
and it works great. Deploys are very fast.

-Jason

> On Nov 24, 2014, at 12:15 PM, richard schneeman <richard.schnee...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Serving in milliseconds
>
> This is because sprockets doesn't generate hashes, remove whitespace,
> compress javascript, or compile all JS to one file.
>
> If you don't need any of those things then don't use the asset pipeline,
> store your assets in `/public` and serve them individually.
>
> > Likely because you do not have an asset/sprockets cache configured.
> > http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys
> > <http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys>
>
> If you are deploying to Heroku
>
> DO NOT USE http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys
> <http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys> on Rails 3
> DO NOT USE http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys
> <http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys> on Rails 3
> DO NOT USE http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys
> <http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys> on Rails 3
> DO NOT USE http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys
> <http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys> on Rails 3
> DO NOT USE http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys
> <http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys> on Rails 3
>
> For the love of god and all that is holy. It will break your application,
> maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually. If you missed it:
>
> DO NOT USE http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys
> <http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys> on Rails 3
>
> This is because Rails 3 has issues with caching and elements __may__ not be
> cleared properly. If you're deploying Rails 4 assets on Heroku we cache these
> for you and the double caching actually SLOWS down your application.

> <mailto:brau...@eita.org.br>>:
> Hello Ken,
>
> This is not good enough as the rails server is going to be reached for each
> asset request. You want nginx or another server to serve assets.
>
> cheers,
> bráulio
>
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Ken Collins <k...@actionmoniker.com
> <mailto:k...@actionmoniker.com>> wrote:
>
> Likely because you do not have an asset/sprockets cache configured.
> http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys
> <http://blog.alexmaccaw.com/faster-deploys>
>
> On November 24, 2014 at 11:58:40 AM, Jonathan Lozinski
> (jonathan.lozin...@gmail.com <mailto:jonathan.lozin...@gmail.com>) wrote:
>
>> It's interesting that you mention that. In development mode (with debug
>> assets off) the consolidated assets build and serve in milliseconds. I'm
>> still unsure as to why the asset pre-compile takes so long.

> "Lute pela sua ideologia. Seja um com sua ideologia. Viva pela sua ideologia.
> Morra por sua ideologia" P.R. Sarkar
>
> EITA - Educação, Informação e Tecnologias para Autogestão
> http://cirandas.net/brauliobo <http://cirandas.net/brauliobo>
> http://eita.org.br <http://eita.org.br/>
>
> "Paramapurusha é meu pai e Parama Prakriti é minha mãe. O universo é meu lar
> e todos nós somos cidadãos deste cosmo. Este universo é a imaginação da Mente
> [...]

----

Jason Fleetwood-Boldt
t...@datatravels.com
http://www.jasonfleetwoodboldt.com/writing

All material © Jason Fleetwood-Boldt 2014. Public conversations may be turned
into blog posts (original poster information will be made anonymous). Email
ja...@datatravels.com with questions/concerns about this.