You're facing one possible way to have incompatible schemas between
branches.

They are created by workflows external to Active Record, to me it doesn't
makes sense that Active Record acts in a way it is not supposed to, to
address divergences in Git branches.

Divergence in Git branches is an external issue, and should be solved where
it is originated in my view, at the workflow level.

If your application has a very specific use case for STI it could be the
case that your most efficient way to workaround it is by monkey patching
something in AR... that depends on the details. But certainly I don't see
the solution builtin in AR.