I will implement this myself, looking for feedback on if it'd be accepted
and how the community feels about the long term of this being enabled by
default.

I often run into conflicts between table names when running multiple fairly
heavyweight engines that all deal with e-commerce (and in turn many have
tables such as most recently payments that conflict). The current solution
is to manually specify the table prefix in the appropriate gem / module.

I am suggesting that we add a inherits_prefix_from_namespace flag to
models, then eventually in the long term (perhaps rails 5) defaulting this
to be enabled.

Ideally this would work as follows:

module Example
  module Widgets
    class Test < ActiveRecord::Base
      inherits_table_prefix_from_namespace: true
    end
  end
end

Rather than having its table name be *tests* , the table name would be
*example_widgets_tests*.

In the case that a prefix is specified, the table name would be
*prefix_example_widgets_tests* (rather than *prefix_tests*).