Jason, thank you for your honesty!

I think where you and I disagree is that you call it a "use case", as
though it's part of one applications particular business logic, whereas IMO
it's a part of the framework that should "just work", because who wants to
maintain 2 separate stylesheets--one for dynamic pages and one for static
ones--or to have to write their own deployment scripts to tell some files
where to find the assets, when Rails already has that feature.

At this point, I'm leaning more towards just creating a new gem to handle
this, instead of submitting a PR to rails.  We'll see if I get some time to
do that in the next few weeks.