Hey all,

Without wanting to claim the hard work of others!! I would love to create
an issue that tracks bumping Mail to ~> 2.6 for Rails 5 (e.g re-create a PR
like this one <https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/15493>). Here's why:

Jeremyevan's PR to use a text-based columnar storage
<https://github.com/mime-types/ruby-mime-types/pull/96> in the Mime-types
gem has been shown to significantly decrease memory when a user opts in to
it <https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems.org/pull/1172> (I've seen 20mb
decrease personally). This memory saving behavior is a default in the 3.0
release of Mime-types
<https://github.com/mime-types/ruby-mime-types/issues/85#issuecomment-158469362>
 (as well as a raft of other, really lovely changes
<https://github.com/mime-types/ruby-mime-types/commit/026ceeaab6cf6d4ca2e6a06a15affca86023ed4d>).

Given that Mail works with Mime-types 3.0
<https://github.com/mikel/mail/commit/d4ffe72b0b2b0c6c8a49130bfe8e792d0542ac0e>
and
when Mail 2.6.4 has finished brewing
<https://github.com/mikel/mail/pull/953#issuecomment-171555920> it'll allow
Mime-types
3.0
<https://github.com/mikel/mail/blob/d4ffe72b0b2b0c6c8a49130bfe8e792d0542ac0e/mail.gemspec#L17>
 It
would be great for Rails to nudge users to pick up this behavior too.

What are people's views on this? It feels a little audacious of me to
modify one line of ActionMailer's gemspec but I'm really keen to see this
change happen.

Thanks!