+1, this is one of a few things that doesn't "work out of the box" for
databases in real-world usage.  I always end up having some version of a
custom "db:prepare" which does extra necessary things for my apps.

FYI, this thread is somewhat related, in that it's also about confusion
about the behavior of the 'test' environment (and also unaddressed):
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rubyonrails-core/environment$20agnostic/rubyonrails-core/kqKoJHcQu9U/xx9J2BLOBgAJ

-- Chad