If you want reliable uniqueness on a field, a DB-level constraint is
necessary.  But DB-level constraints are not reflected in #errors like
other validations.  We implemented this in an around_filter at my work,
would core be interested in a PR?  I'm pretty open to whatever API people
want-the most unobtrusive one I can think of would be to add an option to
validates_uniqueness_of, perhaps :enforced_in_db or something like that.

Unrelated: server clocks tend to drift, so often the created_at timestamps
of a set of AR objects sort in a different order than their ids.  It
wouldn't be terribly hard to use select now() instead of Time.now for those
timestamps.  Any interest in a PR for that?