Despite my protestations I'm seen as A Rails Expert within my organisation.
And I've been fielding a ton of questions re. JS asset management, due to
the switch to Webpacker.

Webpack is tremendously powerful and Webpacker is a helpful manager and
wrapper. However, Webpack itself is also a Heath Robinson machine and
trying to configure/debug it in many common cases immediately becomes a
voyage into the arcane.

Neither of these Rails Guides currently make any mention of Webpack or
Webpacker:
The Asset Pipeline - https://guides.rubyonrails.org/asset_pipeline.html
Working with JavaScript in Rails -
https://guides.rubyonrails.org/working_with_javascript_in_rails.html

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that they should both deal with
relevant aspects.

The 6.0 upgrade guide
(https://edgeguides.rubyonrails.org/upgrading_ruby_on_rails.html#using-webpacker)

makes it seem that an upgrade is as simple as adding a gem and running a
task, but for many existing applications it will be very far from trivial.

None of this is meant to detract from what's already there - the Webpacker
gem itself has many useful docs and a pretty good README, but they're
mostly written from a different perspective to that of a _guide_.  In
particular there's often assumption of familiarity with Webpack, and many
docs are thorough references rather than introductory guides.

For all I know there may be a new guide in progress, but I couldn't see a
PR or issue. It's something I'd be interested in at contributing to, if
only for the selfish reason of reducing my own burden.

--
Josh