Hello,

I've found a regression in Rails 6 while upgrading my Rails 5.2 app that
I'm sure is not correct behavior but I'd like a core member to confirm or
not before I create a PR for it.  The root of the problem lies in the
association cache in the internals of ActiveRecord.  The example below is
the root of a more complex issue in my app, but the following is as basic
as I can get to show the issue.

class Customer
  has_many :appointmentsend
class Appointment
  belongs_to :customerend

*Example that works in Rails 5.2*

a = Appointment.new customer_id: @customer.id
a.association(:customer).reader # returns @customer

*Example that doesn't work in Rails 6.0*

a = Appointment.new customer_id: @customer.id
a.association(:customer).reader # returns nil

*Example that works in both Rails 5.2 and 6.0* (note the association is set
without the id)

a = Appointment.new customer: @customer
a.association(:customer).reader # returns @customer

So is the example that doesn't work in Rails 6.0 a bug?  The example I
provided isn't something you'll see in a Rails app, but Rails internals
uses the association cache and if this is a bug, then fixing this would fix
other potential issues.  Again, I found this issue due to a regression in
my code with autosaved associations that I was setting via a foreign key
parameter (ie. customer_id).

Andrew