I'm not too familiar with the rc.d style configuration files, so I
can't diagnose your problem. It appears that the startup script is
trying to run your command from the incorrect directory.

/etc/rc.local does in fact still work in FreeBSD, even if the file is
not there. Just create the file, paste your command, and it will work.

The rc man page will confirm that this is the case.
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=rc&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.2-RELEASE&format=html)

Reading the man page may give you a clue as to what is wrong with your
current setup.

-- Wes