On 25.5.2008, at 21.48, Bill Walton wrote:

I've got a managed VPS (the hosting service provides support) and they just did an unannounced upgrade to Rails 2.0. My app is 1.2.x. Is there a way to freeze Rails and the other gems my app needs to a prior version _after_ the fact? I'm really in a bind here.

You should have this line in your config/environment.rb:

#RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '1.2.3' unless defined? RAILS_GEM_VERSION

Just uncomment it and set it to whatever version you want to use. Of course, that gem version must still exist on the system but normally updating gems doesn't remove old versions. Note that you should imho ALWAYS set RAILS_GEM_VERSION unless you have frozen gems (or edge) to your app's vendor directory. Otherwise you will forever be at the mercy of your host messing with the gems.

Cheers,
//jarkko

Thanks,
Bill