I have been using atop, and it shows spikes in disk usage during
deployment, then again after deployment (there's a lot of cache on the
machine, so I assume its being flushed there)

The processes are not using any more CPU during this time, but the
load is slowly going up, and response times are getting longer.  CPU
Wait Time isn't going up either.

The stack is: Ubuntu 7 Server, Nginx, Rails 2.02, Mongrel 1.1.4, MySQL
2.7 driver to a remote MySQL server.  This is the same configuration
as my server running Ok

There's nothing notable in any log I can find.

I think there's a hardware problem, but the disk diagnostics I ran
came up clean.  I'm having my server provider take a look.  This
server is clearly unacceptable - Quad Core, 4GB RAM can't run 3
requests per second of my Rails app without the load going over 10
after a deploy