There's a program called rsnapshot used for creating hourly backups,
similar pattern may be applicable to deployments.

I'm currently using the :export option, which makes a duplicate of the
entire tree (even if only 1 file has changed).

The rsnapshot perl script I'm referring to uses rsync to provide the
delta and only copies files that have been changed, added, or removed.

It makes a hardlink of all existing files that have not been modified
(saving on disk space) to create the rest of the un-modified tree.

The advantage is that a deploy could take a few seconds vs. several
minutes, and save on disk space.