> Having a page with a "log in" link that opens a floating window incl.
> the log in form makes SSL calls not possible.

I think Tobie's point was that if the page itself is served via https,
it solves the problem.  So rather than having an http-served page with
a login link, you'd have an https-served page with a login link.  It
can even be the same page and be smart, in that it sees it was served
via http and if you click the login link, loads itself (in the normal
way) via https and then presents the login floater; but if it sess it
was served with https, it just shows the floater without the reload.
--
T.J. Crowder
tj / crowder software / com