I'm working on the ultimate tree class, based, of course, on Prototype.
The overall idea behind the design is to create an extension of a base
class that uses a single constructor that can act completely differently
based on the 'type' of node it is constructing.
With this design it can handle a mixture of any number of any types of
nodes.
The motivation behind it was that I have a project that I've been
avoiding tree structures with for a long time because I hadn't found one
that would fit all of my needs. Now, I need to use trees in at least
three different places and all uses are completely different. I designed
this tree class to be easily usable by all of them.

Also, I've documented it using NaturalDocs and spent as much time
documenting as writing code so it shouldn't be lacking in that regard.
That said, it is somewhat experimental so the code/documentation
formatting isn't as unobtrusive as I'd like.

Check it out:
http://colin.mollenhour.com/ajaxtree/

Please let me know what you think of it.  Draggable is on the slate for
a future feature but I don't have much experience with that and I don't
need it currently so unless someone wants to chip in it may be a while.
I'm open to any other feature requests, but I'd like to keep things that
are highly specific and easily added by the users themselves to a
minimum. Minus the documentation the code is quite compact.

Remember, my goal is, if you ever need a tree for *anything* you can
easily extend Ajax.Tree to handle it.

Thanks,
Colin