I just ran another test on a basic page:

        <head>
                <script language='JavaScript' src='prototype.js'></script>
                <script>
                        function change2()
                        {
                                $('cell').toggle();
                        }

                        function change()
                        {
                            var tbl  = $('test');
                            var rows = tbl.getElementsByTagName('tr');
                            var cells = rows[0].getElementsByTagName('td');
                            cells[0].toggle();
                        }
                </script>
        </head>
                <input type="button" onClick="change()" value="Button 1" />
                <input type="button" onClick="change2()" value="Button 2" />

When I click button 1 I get the error. Button 2 works. However when I
click button 1 after having toggled with button 2 before it even works
with button 1.
Is there something I can do about it?