Jan,
Element constructor uses document.createElement internally. What you
need is document.createElementNS [1]:

var el = document.createElementNS("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";,
"html:a");
el.appendChild( document.createTextNode("test") );
el.setAttribute('href', '/test');
$('container').appendChild(el);

[1] http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:document.createElementNS

- kangax