Hi Mark,

You're right, Prototype has no problem with SSL.  The issue you're
running into is that you're loading data from a different origin via
XHR, which is a no-no.  More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same_origin_policy

...but basically, http://www.mydomain.com and https://www.mydomain.com
are *not* the same origin from a security standpoint.  So you'll need
to use SSL for most (possibly all, depending) of the content related
to the payments, not just some of it.

Hope this helps,
--
T.J. Crowder